BAKERSFIELD, CA – The Bakersfield College Women's Basketball team will open up their season at home hosting the Bakersfield Crossover this coming weekend. After finishing last season with an 8-17 overall record and 1-5 in the conference with three players receiving Western State Conference (WSC) All- Conference Honors, the Renegades are looking to play with more tempo on a full court of defense.
When asked what Coach Paula Dahl was looking forward to in her 26th year as the Renegades head coach, "This season we should be very exciting to watch as we play an up-tempo game of full court defense. I'm extremely excited to face this season with my team. They work extremely hard and are so fun to coach. I believe we will be extremely competitive and will surprise many teams along the way."
Bakersfield is returning three sophomores, forward/guard Dasia Wandick, forward Ja'Nece Green, and guard Alyssa Gonzalez. Wandick received all conference honors last year for leading the team in total points with 363 (14.5 pts/game) and finishing second in rebounds with 189 while contributing 39 assists, 35 steals and 16 blocks. Among those returners is new comer Janaye Herron who is a transfer from CS Monterey Bay but is a Bakersfield native along with eight freshmen.
Coach Dahl is excited to see the women evolve as a team with a majority of them being new to the Renegade squad, "I expect great things from sophomores and freshman alike. We are developing as one and I look forward to seeing greatness in each of my players."
One advantage BC will have on this year's roster is speed and strength however, a weakness the young team will have to face is the lack of height as their tallest player stands at 5'9. No doubt the conference will be tough as it was last season but the `Gades are ready to lace up their sneakers to give the WSC a run for their money.
The Renegades begin their season with the Bakersfield Crossover at home starting Friday, November 1st against Riverside at 7pm and Saturday at 5pm taking on Pasadena City College. Both games will be played in the Gil Bishop Gym and the full schedule can be found at gogades.com
Coach Daul's evaluation of each player on her 2019-20 squad and what the fans can expect to see from them:
- Dasia Wandick - A huge presence in the back court, leadership, rebounding and scoring
- Ja'Nece Green - Defensive intensity in the front court and rebounding along with leadership
- Janaye Herron - Incredible speed and the ability to lock down anyone on defense. She will be a scoring threat and will be an all-around player and leader
- Alyssa Gonzalez – Will run point and direct on offense, create havoc on defense, and will be a scorer
- Julie Hernandez - Will also run point and has great vision of the floor. She will contribute in all aspects of the game and will be consistent across the entire stat line
- Brianna Green - An incredible shooter and has a great knowledge of the game and will bring energy on offense and defense
- Felicia Chacon - Quick and has no fear. She creates for her teammates when she runs the point and will disrupt offenses with her defense and will be very exciting to watch
- Jenna Sampley - An incredible emotional leader and is a spark plug on the floor. She will be incredible on the middle of the press and will drop huge buckets
- Perla Almaguer - Will bring a presence on the inside with strength and determination. She is a great rebounder and finisher
- Makeira Cummings - Will bring shooting and strength, does not back down to anyone.
- Emily Gonzalez - A great defensive weapon and won't back down, becomes stronger as the game is on the line
- Daevajane Bolden - Will bring size, quickness, defense rebounding and scoring. D janaye and Ja'Nece will devastate teams in the front of our press